CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS of the BRANDYWINE VALLEY SKI ASSOCIATION
(AS AMENDED March 2017)
Article I – Name
The name of this organization will be the BRANDYWINE VALLEY SKI ASSOCIATION (BVSA).
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of the Association shall be to foster the sport of skiing and related activities. It shall function as an educational, recreational, and social non-profit organization.
Article III – Affiliations
A. The BRANDYWINE VALLEY SKI ASSOCIATION shall be affiliated with the EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA SKI COUNCIL (EPSC), pledging to observe and be governed by the constitution and bylaws of the EPSC, by the direction action of the annual convention, by the EPSC board of directors and officers, and by the rules and regulations of the various committees as approved by the annual convention, and to cooperate in the accomplishment of the aims and defense of ideals or the EPSC.
B. As a mutual-benefit organization the BRANDYWINE VALLEY SKI ASSOCIATION, its officers and/or its members shall not be held responsible for any injuries, damages to equipment, or any losses incurred upon its members and guests.
C. The BRANDYWINE VALLEY SKI ASSOCIATION and/or its officers shall not be held responsible or liable for any damages caused by any of its members and guests to any and all public or privately owned property, or injuries caused by any of its members and guests to other persons.
Article IV – Membership
Article V – Officers and Elections of Officers
A. Election of Officers
1. Officers of the Association shall consist of; President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer, and the Activities Chairperson
2. The Activities Committee shall consist eight members.
3. Elections of Officers and the Activities Committee shall be by secret ballot and shall be determined by a simple majority of vote of the membership.
4. Officers are elected for a one (1) year term.
5. The Activities Committee shall be elected for a two (2) year term, with four (4) Activities Committee members elected each year.
6. The Activities Committee shall appoint by simple majority vote one Activities Committee member to the position of Activities Chairperson. In the event of a tie the President will cast the deciding vote. The Board will approve the appointment of the Activities Chairperson by majority vote.
7. Only Officers may vote.
8. The membership shall nominate candidates for Association Officers and the Activities Committee. Candidates nominated must accept the nomination before his/her name may be placed on a ballot.
9. Only members may be considered as candidates.
10. Nominations shall be at the meeting in March. Election of officers shall be the meeting of April. The newly elected officers shall take office on the first of May.
11. A minimum of two (2) members will count ballots.
B. Duties of Officers
1. It shall be the duty of the president to preside over all meetings, to enforce the constitution and by-laws, to enforce rules of order, call all special meetings, appoint all committees not otherwise provided for, and perform such other duties as the office may require. The president shall make no motion or amendment to a motion, or vote on any question or motion, unless the Association is divided, and then he/she shall cast the deciding vote.
2. In the absence of the president, the Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President. The Vice-President shall be chairperson of the Membership Committee. The job includes overseeing the directory and the membership information including name and address, date admitted to membership, dues payments, and resignations/expulsions of members.
3. The Treasurer shall receive all monies belonging to the Association and safeguard same. The Treasurer shall disburse funds as authorized by the Officers acting as a Board. The Treasurer shall keep a detailed record of the disposition of all funds received, disbursed, and held in a depository. A summary report of all transactions shall be given monthly along with the depository balance. An Audit Committee, to include the Treasurer, shall be appointed by the President and shall audit the accounts and records of the Treasurer, officers, and committees who have collected or disbursed Association funds, no less frequently than every January and July, or at the discretion of the Board.
4. The Recording Secretary shall keep a record of all the proceedings of the Association, keep minutes of all Board meetings, and present the minutes of the previous meeting to the Board.
5. The Corresponding secretary shall be responsible for the newsletter and all correspondence within and outside the association.
6. The Activities Committee shall plan Association activities. The Activities Committee shall appoint and chair activities Sub-committees. The Activities Committee shall be responsible for submission to the treasurer a final written report including a financial statement for each activity.
7. If an office is vacated, the officers, acting as a board, shall appoint a person to fill that office to the completion of that term. An office shall be determined to be vacant by resignation, or for cause as voted on by majority of the officers.
Article VI – Meetings
A. There shall be a minimum of ten (10) regular meetings between September 1 and May 31 in any given year with at least one (1) regular meeting held in, each of the months of September through May inclusive.
B. To conduct Association business a quorum consisting of not less than 20 members shall be present.
C. Order of Business
1. Call the meeting to order
2. Reading of the previous minutes
3. Treasurer’s Report
4. EPSC Reports
5. Committee Reports
7. Old Business
8. New Business
9. Miscellaneous Business
10. Arranging program for next meeting
D. The regular meeting schedule shall be announced in June for the succeeding year. All changes and special meetings shall be announced by mail to all members (in a timely manner).
Article VII – Dues
A. An initiation fee of five dollars (5) shall be paid by an individual to become a member of the BRANDYWINE VALLEY SKI ASSOCIATION except dependent family members under 18 years of age. Members not paying dues by November 15 shall be subject to the initiation fee of $5.00.
B. Membership dues in the BRANDYWINE VALLEY SKI ASSOCIATION are as follows
C. Initiation fees and membership dues are not refundable.
D. Upon payment of dues the member will be issued a membership card.
E. Members under the age of 18 must have the signature of a parent or guardian to be a member and a signed permission form to participate in each association activity.
F. Non-members participating in BVSA activities may be subject to additional fee specified by the activities officers.
Article VIII – Amendments
Amendments to the constitution and by-laws may be put on the agenda by a favorable majority vote. Proposed amendments shall be read at three (3) consecutive meetings of the membership. The proposed amendments shall be voted on at the third meeting and adopted by a majority of those members voting.